PORT ELLEN 26 ans 1983 S.V 55,7%
Single Malt, Scotland / Islay, 70cl, Ref: 15941
- Type / Subtype : Whisky / Single Malt
- Brand / Distillery : Port Ellen
- Country / Region : Scotland
- Merchant : Signatory Vintage
- Line : Cask Strength Collection
- Bottling :
- Dilution : Cask strength
- Strength : 55,7%
- Volume : 70cl
- Vintage : 1983 Vintage
- Age : 26 Yo
- Peated : Peated
- Packaging : Metal Tube
- SKU : 15941
- Appearance : or vif.
- Nose : fin, tendu. La tourbe fait preuve de beaucoup de profondeur. Elle est enrobée de vanille, de notes automnales (feuilles mortes), d’agrumes confits (orange, citron) et de fruits frais (raisin, mûre). Il se prolonge sur les fleurs capiteuses (cyclamen, jacinthe), la réglisse et l’iode.
- Palate : vive, tonique. La fumée s’installe sur le pourtour du palais. Aérienne, elle se montre florale (iris, lys) et délicatement épicée (muscade, girofle). Un regain de fumée et de tourbe anime le milieu de bouche. Elle se prolonge sur les fruits compotés (pomme, poire) et le bois vert. Pimentée, elle a gagné en concentration et en complexité.
- Overall : longue, lascive. L’orge maltée tourbée, la cire d’abeille, la menthe blanche et le cuir nuancent sa palette chromatique de tons irisés. Elle se prolonge sur des notes végétales (coriandre, persil). La rétro olfaction réactive son caractère marin (saumon fumé) et l’âcreté de la fumée de tourbe. Le verre vide est huileux (olive).
- The brand
Built in 1824 in the south of the Isle of Islay, Port Ellen was the site of numerous technological experiments that revolutionised the whisky industry in the 20th century. Closed between 1930 and 1969, it opened a malting centre on its site in 1973 tasked with supplying all the distilleries on the island with smoky malted barley. Again closed in 1983, Port Ellen lost its production licence in 1992 and, with it, all hope of ever producing whisky again. At the beginning of the millennium, the majority of its buildings were knocked down, leaving only the pagodas and warehouses. Though the end of the 90s and the beginning of the millennium were a prosperous time for single cask, cask strength versions from independent bottlers, this very iodine and smoky malt has become increasingly rare over the last five years.
Although the independent bottler Signatory Vintage cannot claim to be one of the oldest in Scotland, it has managed to build up an extremely solid reputation amongst the great malt connoisseurs. The creator of the famous range The Prestonfield and many other well-known ranges, it is best known for its un-chillfiltered and cask strength bottlings that offer amateurs the chance to enjoy their whisky in its most natural form. It was also one of the first independent bottlers to acquire a distillery and now offers a growing number of expressions of one of the most artisan single malts available.
The Cask Strength Collection of single malt and single grain whiskies is without doubt one of the most appreciated ranges. Each release is bottled undiluted, unchillfiltered and usually consists of a single cask. To help the consumer appreciate their whisky at more than a purely aromatic and gustatory level, Signatory Vintage takes care to display on each label, with great precision, the region of production, the date of distillation and bottling, the type of cask used, its number and the number of bottles of the same nectar that were produced. This range thus offers some fascinating facts, in addition to exceptional quality!
We recommend to you
Laphroaig 10 year old is undoubtedly one of the all time great malt whiskies from Scotland. Its idiosyncratic peaty character stands out...€45.90