All about making whisky
MORTLACH 20 ans 1990
Single Malt, Scotland / Speyside, 70cl, Ref: 13624D
- Type / Subtype : Whisky / Single Malt
- Brand / Distillery : Mortlach
- Country / Region : Scotland / Speyside
- Merchant : Signatory Vintage
- Line : Cask Strength Collection
- Bottling :
- Dilution : Cask strength
- Strength :
- Volume : 70cl
- Vintage : 1990 Vintage
- Age : 20 Yo
- Peated : Unpeated
- Gift box : Metal Tube
- SKU : 13624D
- Appearance : jaune or vert.
- Nose : riche, concentré. Il est marqué par des notes de paille humide, de fruits mûrs (poire, pomme) et de camphre.
- Palate : ferme, puissante. Les épices douces (gingembre, cannelle) font place aux fruits frais (ananas) et à la réglisse. Elle évolue sur l'herbe fraîchement coupée.
- Overall : longue, onctueuse. Elle est anisée et marquée par l'amande verte. Evoque une aire de maltage.
- The brand
Founded in 1823, Mortlach is allegedly built on the site of a former illicit distillery. It was one of the rare distilleries allowed to produce alcohol during the second world war, right up until 1944. Using partial triple distillation and a traditional “worm tube” condensation system – also used by Talisker and Edradour – Mortlach produces a very delicate distillate. As is the case with many of the distilleries owned by the Diageo group, very few official bottlings of the malt exist outside of the Flora & Fauna and Rare Malts ranges released in the 1990s.
Although the independent bottler Signatory Vintage cannot claim to be one of the oldest in Scotland, it has managed to build up an extremely solid reputation amongst the great malt connoisseurs. The creator of the famous range The Prestonfield and many other well-known ranges, it is best known for its un-chillfiltered and cask strength bottlings that offer amateurs the chance to enjoy their whisky in its most natural form. It was also one of the first independent bottlers to acquire a distillery and now offers a growing number of expressions of one of the most artisan single malts available.
The Cask Strength Collection of single malt and single grain whiskies is without doubt one of the most appreciated ranges. Each release is bottled undiluted, unchillfiltered and usually consists of a single cask. To help the consumer appreciate their whisky at more than a purely aromatic and gustatory level, Signatory Vintage takes care to display on each label, with great precision, the region of production, the date of distillation and bottling, the type of cask used, its number and the number of bottles of the same nectar that were produced. This range thus offers some fascinating facts, in addition to exceptional quality!