GLENBURGIE 18 years old 1998 53,9%
Single Malt Whisky, Scotland / Speyside, 70cl, Ref: 53139
This specially selected single cask from Glenburgie distillery in Speyside was distilled in 1998 and aged in a refill hogshead. With almost the entire make from this great distillery kept for blending, it is a rare treat to taste this fragrant, sweet malt.
The Single Malts of Scotland is a range of vintage single malt Scotch whiskies selected for their individual quality and character by The Whisky Exchange in collaboration with La Maison Du Whisky. Each single cask has been bottled at cask strength, producing a total of a limited quantity of bottles.
Profile: Full and generous.
Sourcing actor, importer and exclusive distributor of a portfolio of international brands, La Maison du Whisky is, since 60 years a reference for whisky and spirit lovers. Thanks to our close relationships with producers and independent bottlers, we have access to limited editions and unique products we bring to market exclusively. Curious and creative, we are driven by our passion for products and our desire to constantly bring our clients the latest expressions through our own shops, our website whisky.fr and selected wine retail shops in France.
- Type / Subtype : Whisky / Single Malt Whisky
- Brand / Distillery : Glenburgie
- Country / Region : Scotland / Speyside
- Merchant : Speciality Drinks
- Line : The Single Malts Of Scotland
- Bottling :
- Strength : 53,9%
- Volume : 70cl
- Vintage : 1998 Vintage
- Age : 18 Yo
- Peated : Unpeated
- Gift box : Sans
- SKU : 53139
- Nose : distinctly malty, with buttery aromas, candied oranges and autumn leaves giving way to a light sweetness and delicate meadow flowers. As the whisky develops, a subtle note of lemon peel dusted with icing sugar comes to the fore.
- Palate : creamy notes of baked-apple tarte Tatin and custard cream surround a buttery biscuit core, reminiscent of millefeuille and crème brûlée. A combination of golden-syrup-coated Bran Flakes and sweet summer plums come together, giving a delightfully light yet complex dram.
- Overall : hints of sugared almonds and a salted-caramel sweetness give a delicate and refined finish.
- The brand
Founded in 1829 (or 1810 according to certain sources), the Glenburgie distillery has always been linked with the Ballantine’s blend and the Allied Domecq company. Since 1958, Glenburgie had the unusual feature of housing two Lomond type stills, which are very rarely used in the industry. They were replaced by traditional pot stills in 1981. Interestingly, its malt can also be found under the name Glencraig, in tribute to William Craig, a former director of production at Ballantine’s.
A wine merchant recently founded by the Singh brothers, the owners of The Whisky Exchange in the United Kingdom, Speciality Drinks offers three ranges of very different single malts. The first, Port Askaig, is composed of four bottlings of an Islay single malt, including an expression with no age statement and a 30 year old! The second, Elements of Islay, celebrates the different distilleries on the island, each easily identified by their initials. The third, simply dubbed Speciality Drinks, offers a wide selection of single malts from Scottish distilleries.
The lineSingle Malts of Scotland: Over the years, Speciality Drinks has been acquiring top quality casks of maturing single malt whisky. Since 2005 we have been releasing these whiskies as ‘The Single Malts of Scotland’. Each Single Malts of Scotland bottling is individually selected for its particular quality & character.
We recommend to you
Laphroaig 10 year old is undoubtedly one of the all time great malt whiskies from Scotland. Its idiosyncratic peaty character stands out...€46.00