All about making whisky
GLEN GRANT 1955
Single Malt, Scotland / Speyside, 70cl, Ref: 14921
- Type / Subtype : Whisky / Single Malt
- Brand / Distillery : Glen Grant
- Country / Region : Scotland / Speyside
- Merchant : Gordon & Macphail
- Line : Rare Vintage
- Bottling :
- Dilution : Not chill-filtered
- Strength :
- Volume : 70cl
- Vintage : 1955 Vintage
- Peated : Unpeated
- Gift box : Wooden Gift Box
- SKU : 14921
- Appearance : acajou à reflets rouges.
- Nose : riche, poudré. Evoque un vieux xérès oloroso avec ses notes de brou de noix, de datte et d’orange amère saupoudrées d’une pincée de sel. Il évolue avec fraîcheur sur le chocolat noir, la griotte et les épices (cardamome, curry).
- Palate : vive, puissante. Le poivre et le piment d’Espelette constituent une entrée en matière dynamique et nerveuse. La confiture d’abricot, la réglisse et la groseille contrastent par leur douceur. Notes de sirop d’érable et de cire.
- Overall : longue. Le cacao, les épices (cumin, muscade) et le tabac précèdent les fleurs capiteuses (lilas, iris). La rétro-olfaction revient sur les fruits rouges.
- The brand
Founded in 1840, Glen Grant for a long time remained the property of the Chivas Brothers group (Pernod Ricard), before winding up in the hands of the Campari group in 2005. Mainly matured in ex-bourbon casks and bottled as a five and ten year old, Glen Grant is a little known single malt, considering the production capacity of its distillery. Producing almost six million litres of pure spirit every year, Glen Grant has the fourth highest capacity in Scotland after Roseisle, Glenfiddich and Macallan. It’s known best amongst single malt amateurs for its first-fill sherry casks released by the independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail.
This independent bottler is without a doubt one of the most highly acclaimed in Scotland. It stands out, not for its age (though it is the oldest independent bottler in Scotland), but for its complete mastery of cask ageing. Gordon & MacPhail is the only bottler to have its own casks - carefully chosen for the purpose - filled by the distilleries themselves, instead of simply buying the ones suggested to them by the latter. This allows it to determine, in advance and with great precision, exactly how many years a whisky will need to reach ideal maturation.
As its name suggests, the Rare Vintage range is quite simply a collection of rare, old vintages, and includes a substantial number of Gordon & MacPhail’s most sought-after single malts. Closely linked to the Distillery Labels range (the Rare Vintage bottlings also served as semi-official releases for several distilleries which had not had any proper official releases on the market for quite some time), the Rare Vintage bottles are to a large extent responsible for this historic specialist’s reputation.
We recommend to you
A great Islay classic for lovers of peaty, iodized whiskies. An unmissable malt. Old gold with glints of green; the full-bodied bouquet is...€47.00