Founded in Edinburgh in 1827, Ballantine’s was originally a grocer’s before specialising in whisky and becoming a professional blender. After moving to Glasgow in 1872, it was sold to new owners in the 1920s. Ballantine’s was one of the very first whisky producers to offer super-premium whiskies, launching two luxury bottlings in 1930, one a 17 year old and the other a 30 year old. In the 1930s, Ballantine’s began progressively building its presence in the United States and Europe. In 2005 it was bought by Pernod Ricard who developed it into one of the largest brands in the world.