All about making whisky
ARDMORE 15 ans 1996
Single Malt, Scotland / Highlands, 70cl, Ref: 16109
- Type / Subtype : Whisky / Single Malt
- Brand / Distillery : Ardmore
- Country / Region : Scotland / Highlands
- Merchant : Douglas Laing
- Line : Old Malt Cask
- Bottling :
- Dilution : Not chill-filtered
- Strength :
- Volume : 70cl
- Vintage : 1996 Vintage
- Age : 15 Yo
- Peated : Slightly Peated
- Gift box : Case
- SKU : 16109
- Appearance : jaune paille.
- Nose : puissant, terreux. La tourbe, la racine de gentiane et les épices (girofle), tempérées par des fruits mûrs. Il se déploie sur les agrumes confits, la chlorophylle et sur l'herbe fraîchement coupée.
- Palate : riche, vive. Elle confirme les arômes du nez. Noix fraîche et noisette. Elle se révèle épicée sur la noix muscade et la badiane.
- Overall : longue, automnale. Notes de sous-bois et de feuilles séchées. Chocolat noir et miel de bruyère.
- The brand
Ardmore is an ambiguous distillery. On the border between Speyside and the eastern Highlands, Ardmore was established in 1897, just one year before the Pattison brothers went bankrupt. Its whisky has a character which could be mistaken for an island whisky rather than a mainland. Interestingly, between 1817 and 1835, another distillery of the same name operated on the Isle of Islay before merging with Lagavulin. This colourful heritage extends deep into its DNA. Discovered thanks to its independent bottlings, Ardmore has, for several years, released its own 12 year old “house”.
Established in Glasgow in 1948 by Fred Douglas Laing, the Douglas Lang company has, in recent years, made numerous changes to its structure. Fred Laing’s movement to the head of the company has contributed towards the business’s sound reputation. Known throughout the industry for the quality and variety of its cask selection (Douglas Laing still has casks from the most prestigious distilleries: Glenfarclas, Talisker, Ardbeg, etc.), the company has expanded its already rich range that includes historic selections such as Double Barrel, Premier Barrel and Director’s Cut, with two new collections guaranteed to please connoisseurs: Single Minded and Old Particular.
Launched in 1998, the Old Malt Cask range, consisting of 50 casks, was bottled to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this family-run business. Today more than a hundred releases are permanently available. Most of these are single casks that have been bottled without colouring or filtering and contain 50% ABV; they are considered to be the ‘golden strength’ by purists. In addition to the traditional releases at 50% ABV, there are some cask strength bottlings, created especially for La Maison du Whisky.